Healthy Lifestyle

Mother heard her son crying of high fever, saw red bumps all the body and immediately realized the doctor’s fatal mistake

Most of us can recall the discomfort and misery of battling chickenpox in our younger years. We are fortunate that it is a one-time ordeal, as it could have been far worse if contracted during adulthood. Yet, it appears that some medical professionals fail to acknowledge the seriousness of this common childhood illness.

For one mother, Hayley Lyons, her son’s bout with chickenpox took an alarming turn, teetering on the brink of a nightmare. When Lewis’s fever soared to alarming heights, Hayley sought medical advice from their trusted doctor.

Following the doctor’s recommendation, she administered Ibuprofen to her son, relying on its dual benefits as a pain reliever and fever reducer. Little did she know that this would prove to be a critical mistake.

After Lewis consumed the medication, his condition rapidly deteriorated, leaving Hayley no choice but to rush him to the hospital. What awaited them was a shocking revelation: Lewis had developed a severe infection, precipitated by the pills prescribed by their doctor.

It transpired that the specific medication had a detrimental effect on individuals afflicted with chickenpox. Hayley, now desperate to warn others about the potential dangers, took to Facebook to share her harrowing experience. Though her post dates back some time, its message remains pertinent and deserving of renewed attention.

“Chickenpox is making a resurgence, and I implore everyone not to administer Nurofen/Ibuprofen to their children,” Hayley’s heartfelt plea resounded. “Several doctors at our local clinic prescribed it to Lewis when his fever refused to abate. Unbeknownst to us, this medicine has anti-inflammatory properties that drive the chickenpox virus deeper into the skin.”

The gravity of the situation only became evident when Hayley and Lewis sought refuge in the hospital, a decision they were compelled to make despite initial dismissive reassurances that “it’s just chickenpox.” Alas, their journey took an unexpected twist as Lewis’s condition rapidly deteriorated, culminating in a diagnosis of sepsis and an immediate hospitalization.

It was only through Hayley’s unwavering determination and intuitive recognition of her son’s deteriorating state that a crisis was averted. The medical professionals at the hospital, armed with their expertise and experience, swiftly intervened, ultimately ensuring Lewis’s recovery.

Hayley now imparts invaluable wisdom to other parents navigating the challenges of childhood illness. She advocates the use of CALPOL, a medication free of paracetamol, to alleviate fever during chickenpox. Astonishingly, it was discovered later that the Nurofen website explicitly advises against its usage in cases of chickenpox. Regrettably, this information came too late for Hayley, as she had followed the well-intentioned guidance of the doctors.

Through the resourcefulness and vigilance of Hayley, Lewis’s health was restored, and a potential tragedy averted. Her courage in sharing their ordeal serves as a poignant reminder that we must remain vigilant and trust our instincts when it comes to our children’s well-being.

As we grapple with the resurgence of chickenpox, let us heed Hayley’s warning, arming ourselves with knowledge and remaining cautious when administering medication. By learning from her experience, we can strive to protect our loved ones and ensure their road to recovery is free from avoidable pitfalls.

Back to top button