Local News

Innocence Lost: Investigation Takes Dark Turn as Mother Confesses to Hiding Dead Child for Weeks

Memphis, Tennessee – In a shocking turn of events, the mother of a 4-year-old girl, initially reported missing, has allegedly confessed to the Memphis Police that the child had been deceased for several weeks. The mother, Brittany Jackson, claims that her boyfriend viciously attacked the young girl, leading to her tragic demise. Furthermore, Jackson revealed the macabre detail of storing the child’s lifeless body in garbage bags within their residence. These startling revelations emerged from a police statement released at 8:14 a.m. on Friday, following an exhaustive search conducted by law enforcement officials in a North Memphis neighborhood for Sequoia Samuels.

The disheartening investigation took a grim turn when human remains were discovered in close proximity to the search area. Consequently, both the Memphis Police and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation made the difficult decision to terminate the search on Friday. The harrowing discoveries have led to the filing of charges against Brittany Jackson, including aggravated child abuse-neglect, abuse of a corpse, and false offense report. Similarly, Jaylon Hobson, Jackson’s boyfriend, has been charged with false offense report in relation to this distressing case.

The search for young Sequoia Samuels commenced on Thursday, following her reported disappearance from her residence on Caldwell Avenue in North Memphis. The 4-year-old, who relied on a feeding tube, was last captured on security camera footage the previous night, innocently walking out of her home. According to Jackson’s initial account provided to the police, she claimed to have been present at 247 Caldwell with Hobson, her live-in boyfriend, along with Sequoia. Additionally, Jackson’s 5-year-old son and two juvenile relatives of Hobson, aged 6 and 4, were also present within the household.

Jackson recounted that she last saw Sequoia at approximately 11:45 p.m., offering her a drink of water before tucking her into bed. Subsequently, she fell asleep on the couch, with Hobson joining her later. Upon awakening and recharging her deceased phone, Jackson was confronted with text messages from her aunt, notifying her that “The front door is open.” This alarming message triggered Jackson’s realization that Sequoia was missing, prompting her to contact the Memphis Police without delay.

However, the unfolding investigation took an unexpected twist when Jackson was interviewed by the Homicide Bureau on Friday. During this interaction, she confessed to having provided false information initially. According to her revised statement, Hobson had subjected Sequoia to multiple physical assaults in the weeks leading up to her untimely demise. Following the final assault, the young child was left unconscious, and Hobson’s attempts to revive her proved futile. Shockingly, Jackson admitted to withholding medical aid during this critical period, as detailed in the official document.

Following the tragic events, Hobson purportedly concealed the lifeless body of the child in several garbage bags, preserving it within the confines of their dwelling until Thursday. The police statement elucidates that “Jackson maintained the corpse for several weeks,” until the bags were eventually disposed of in a garbage container alongside other refuse cans outside the apartment.

In light of these chilling revelations, a search warrant was executed in collaboration with the medical examiner at 249 Caldwell Avenue. It was during this meticulous operation that law enforcement officials retrieved the deceased child’s remains, which are believed to belong to Sequoia. Moreover, the clothing recovered from the scene matches the description provided by the mother, further supporting the tragic outcome of this devastating case. Although Hobson denies any involvement in the child’s demise, the investigation remains ongoing as authorities diligently gather evidence to shed light on the circumstances surrounding the heart-wrenching incident.

In an unsettling twist, Hobson’s involvement in a separate case from May has come to the fore through Shelby County court records. On May 6, Hobson and Jackson were apprehended at an apartment complex on Mimosa Avenue, leading to a series of charges. Notably, Hobson was found in possession of six firearms within a vehicle, alongside a green leafy substance that tested positive for THC. Among the charges leveled against him are criminal trespass, possession of marijuana, and prohibited weapons. Intriguingly, the inventory of weapons seized includes one with an automatic switch and another described as a 3D computer-generated “ghost gun.”

As investigators delve deeper into these distressing events, the Memphis community remains in shock and mourning over the tragic fate of young Sequoia Samuels. The harrowing details that have emerged from this case serve as a grim reminder of the urgency to protect the vulnerable and uphold the sanctity of life. Authorities continue their tireless pursuit of justice, determined to piece together the truth surrounding this heart-rending incident that has left a community grappling with sorrow and searching for answers.

Back to top button